Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mini Challenge: Putting Pen to Paper

I have always loved to write.  In my school days, if you asked me my favorite thing to do, I would have said write.  I loved essay questions, research papers and creative writing assignments.  I even wrote a short children's book for a college class.


I come from a family of writers.  My Paternal Grandmother was a teacher and wrote a column for the newspaper...my Grandpop was a journalist, an editor and taught journalism classes.  My Maternal Grandfather was a naturalist who wrote down books full of notes and jewels of insights.  Many of them have been published in a local newspaper.  Writing has been a natural part of my life.  Until I started scrapbooking.  Suddenly I have nothing to say.  I am trying to tell our story and I have no words.  Why is it so hard?  I find myself giving rote information and missing the essence of the story.  Well, no more.  This lover of pencils ( I will admit it.  School supplies make me happy) and maker of lists is getting back to my writing roots with this challenge.  Hopefully it will stick with me and help add soul to the way I create.

Before I tell you the challenge, check out this video:  True Stories  

 Now we are not taking her class...and our challenge will not last so long, but  it will be hard.  I promise you that some of you will just want to skip it.   But it will be oh, so worth it.  It is time to stop hiding behind patterned paper, photos and pretty embellishments.   

Mini Challenge:  Do a layout with NO PICTURES.  Only Journaling.  It can be about anything you want, but focus on using words to tell your story.  And let's get back to basics.  I want this to be a handwritten challenge.  So no computers.  You can use:



Or



I cherish the letters that I have saved from my Grandmother and Susie, a dear friend, who have both passed away.  It is important that we pass that piece of ourselves onto our loved ones.  Because of that, I try to always have my handwriting on layouts.  Do I have the best handwriting in the world?  No.  But my family won't care years from now. 

Link your layout for the "Putting Pen to Paper" Mini Challenge to the Mister Linky for February (found here... http://counterfeitkitchallenge.blogspot.com/2011/02/mister-linky-for-february-2011.html )  to be entered in the random drawing for a FREE Scraps of Darkness Kit from February 2011!

11 comments:

  1. Interesting challenge. I look forward to tackling it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome challenge! And I agree about your handwriting being on your layouts - I'm not always happy with mine but I try to incorporate it somewhere on each layout, even if I do computer journaling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just found your blog, thanks to A Creative Operation, and I love it! I'm especially fond of all the tutorial information you post. I just spent hours looking through your blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great challenge! Now I have to think of a topic and go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really going to stretch me since I don't consider myself much of a hand written journaler. My blog is my journal but I will give this a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never ever ever been comfortable with anything on my layouts but the basic who, what, where, when and why's of the subect at hand. I have never ever ever kept a diary. I have, however, missed letter writing and card writing, and even the phone call (which has seemed to have been taken over by texting and emails). I am also a pretty private person, and don't know if I can do something like this that others could actually read! (I would be embarrassed!) Wowsers, this would be a huge challenge for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,
    If you do the challenge and want to share a picture, just cut a piece of cardstock and cover your journaling (so we can't read it)...if possible. Then you can still share your design (and enter the contest again)...without any personal information :)
    *meridy*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great challenge! I put a link to take on the challenge in the Mr. Linky post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can be my own worse critic when it comes to writing, and especially my HANDwriting! This is a great exercise in getting past some of those fears, and just doing it! Good luck to all of you. I can't wait to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meridy, that is so sweet of you to suggest that! I have actually been thinking about this all day. It would be good for me to just do this challenge...I will never get over my fear if I don't!

    ReplyDelete

Compliance with the new European Union E-Privacy Regulation

If you leave a comment on this blog, you do so with the knowledge that your name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog, that you have published your own personal details and that you have consented for your personal information to be displayed.
This blog is currently generated from the USA with contributors from Europe, Australia and the USA.