|K&Company Photo Credit|
What is a Smash Book?
Here's the original idea by EK Success and K&Company... Smash Book Introduction
What are the various parts and pieces?
Here are the different options and accessories you have for embellishing your Smash Book... Accessories for the Smash Book
Spiral notebook versus 3-ring binder?
If you like the idea, but would rather be able to move your pages around and add some pictures, check out the Ditto Book and all of it's accessories (which is also easy to counterfeit).
This is a great video to get you started... DIY Smash Book Part 1
DIY Smash Book Part 2
A list of scrapbook goodies (and tutorials) to add to your Counterfeit Smash Book...
- The woman who created the videos above, also designed these pages for you to print and use.
- Weekly calendar pages found here and here
- Divided page protectors or baseball card inserts
- Monthly calendar pages found here and here
- Dividers with tabs (office file folders come in so many colors and designs now, simply cut the file folders down to the size of your Smash Book)
- Label stickers/label die cuts/printable labels (see "free printables" section)
- Journal spots--I'm sure you have some of these laying around!
- Date stamp
- Altered paper clips
- Envelopes--use any kind you have on hand, you can even recycle "return mail" envelopes with the little clear windows in them!
- Envelopes with "string closures"
- Library cards and pockets
- Printed quotes-Perfect "word art" quotes to print
- Mini accordion folders
- Mini file folders
- Decorative mini Post-It notes--you might have some of these lying around
- Set of journaling stamps--you might have these, or create your own journaling stamp
- Altered binder clips
- Pockets pages
- Decorative tape
- Giant altered paperclip as a "bookmark"
- Double sided scrapbook paper cut to size
A list of memorabilia to add to your Smash Book...
- Ticket stubs
- Business cards
- Paint swatches
- Magazine clippings
- Class schedules
- Report cards
- Paycheck stub
- Typical "to do" list
- Hospital bands
- Hand prints/ foot prints (of kids)
- ID cards
- Dried flowers
- Fabric swatches
- Locks of hair
- Trip itinerary
- Scraps of wrapping paper from a special occasion
- Buttons from favorite outfits
- Newspaper clippings
- Typical grocery list
- Empty seed packets
- Clothing price tags
- Endless possibilities...
And if you still need some more inspiration, here is a whole blog dedicated to Smash Books... http://www.smashstoriesblog.com/. If you look on the right hand column of the blog, there is a list of various topics to use for your smash books.
I have made 2 smaller books for my mom and sisters' trip to Europe this summer, and I am going to be making one larger one for my daughter's Kindergarten year in school, which starts this July! What do you think you'll make one for?
Rather than a Mister Linky for the Smash Books...leave a link to yours in the comments below. To easily find this post in the future, there will be a "quick link" towards the top of the right hand column called "Counterfeit Smash Book Post". I'll leave the quick link up throughout the summer!!! I'm super excited to see every one's work! (Oh, feel free to post your "blank" and/or "completed" Smash Book.) Since this challenge is a surprise, even to our DT, I don't have any examples of the finished product to show you today.
ETA - I just found this blog http://inthesuncourse.blogspot.com/, it looks like she will be posting different prompts/ideas/techniques to use in a journal every day this summer. Here is the post that explains what she is doing. http://inthesuncourse.blogspot.com/2011/05/taa-daa.html It looks interesting!!!