Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Sympathy Cards Part One

Today it's Jemma's turn to share a card kit with you: for Sympathy cards.  I have to admit I have never made a sympathy card before and was wondering how to make them slightly serious, but still pretty, so I turned to Google for inspiration!  I found lots of beautifully stamped cards with heartfelt sentiments such as this one from Diane Cramer in the Splitcoastsatmpers' Gallery:


I love the clean lines and the subtle touch of colour in this soothing card.  However, I'm not a stamper and have neither the right sort of images nor sentiments.  So I knew that my card kit would have to feature patterned papers and I would have to find a solution for the wording.  I decided a mix of black, white and grey patterns with a couple of sheets of coloured patterns to add a little cheer would be the way to go:

Jimjams - Sympath Card Kit

A few toning ribbons and trims plus my Martha Stewart butterfly punches would add texture and form.  Grey and white card will form the base with some black for matting.

That left me the problem of the wording.  I used a MS Word to create a table of sentiments in a variety of fonts and added a sentiments to circle shapes.  I printed this out onto white card:

Jimjams - Sympathy Sentiments

And here is the first card that I made with my kit - using a 1.5" circle punch for one of the sentiments and adding a couple of blue gems from my stash to brighten up the butterflies.

Jimjams - Sympathy Card #1

I'll be back tomorrow with a few more of the cards made from my kit and some links to inspiration on the web.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely cards Jemma - is your word doc available for download?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added a link to the document in "tomorrow's" post :-)

      Delete
  2. Interesting article.I always find sympathy hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card Jemma :) love the pop of blue against the black and white of the card

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only ever made one and it surely wasn't as lovely as yours. I like the idea of a hint of colour. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crafting our own cards always strikes me as a joyful thing... these will be hard for me to do, I think. Thanks for the direction.

    ReplyDelete

Compliance with the new European Union E-Privacy Regulation

If you leave a comment on this blog, you do so with the knowledge that your name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog, that you have published your own personal details and that you have consented for your personal information to be displayed.
This blog is currently generated from the USA with contributors from Europe, Australia and the USA.