Monday, April 24, 2017

Scribbles From My Scrap Studio – 2017 April

BH_Project52_CoreKit_02-002

How’s your life going?  More specifically, how is your Project Life going?

Me:  Life is good.  Project Life is very good. It is April and I am still caught up. What could be better, I ask you.

Yes, my minimalist approach is proving sustainable.  Picking only 1 or 2 photos a week, means that I have been focusing on the more unique aspects of what is happening in our lives.  And because I am not sharing all of it publicly, the journaling has become more personal as well.

There are a couple of other aspects of Project Life I am enjoying too.  Like using the different types of cards included in my core kit – the original Project 52 kit.  Here are my favorites:

DSC05741DSC05744
  1.  The weekly card is what I am using for most of my journaling. I usually journal in Word to be printed on the card, stamp the weekly Sunday date and then embellish at the end of the white rectangle, overlapping the first digit of the week’s number.  It adds a continuity that I like to my album.  I made it all the way to week 12 before I messed up the card and could not make it work using the reverse. I had printed a picture on it by mistake, which might have worked with the right photo - mine was not that. Thank heavens I could buy the digital version online. For $3.99, problem solved and I have insurance against future mishaps.
  2. The cards with the built-in text are fun – it would be cute to cut off the grid portion of the card, and use the rest as an overlay on a photo.  That’s one perk of a core kit, you get multiples of most cards so you can cut into them fearlessly.
  3. I love a “fill in the boxes” card.  Fun, easy and informative.
  4. Another grid card for journaling or matting a photo.
  5. I also love “circle the answer” cards. Alternatively, an enamel dot, wood veneer star or acrylic check mark work if you do not want to circle or underline, or trying stamping the date over the appropriate month with a roller date stamp.
  6. And then the pièce de résistance --  – an overall pattern card.  Now there’s a blank canvas waiting to be painted, or more specifically, a mini-layout waiting to be designed.  I wish there were more 4 x 6 cards in the kit, therefore I picked up the matching 6 x 6 paper pad so I can add more.

    So what does one do with a mini canvas like that?  Well, here are a few sketches I have drawn up.  I first started drafting sketches when I was on the design team over at Sketches In Thyme – Project Life Style.  I have only done a handful, but I am finding myself noticing potential mini-layouts on advertising pieces, book covers and even greeting cards.  Want to see a few?
Project Life Card Sketches
plcardsketches

And then how about some finished cards based on those?

plcardsapril-001

Did you notice I added to the “madness” by mixing vertical and horizontal pieces on the top card?

Did you notice that I layered two pieces of washi tape so that the camera pattern was more visible?

Did you notice that even those who design patterned paper for a living, may need spelling lessons? Winking smile

So what do you think?  Do you use sketches for greeting cards or layouts; have you ever used one for a pocket style card?

If not, why not?

5 comments:

  1. I love these sketches! I am looking forward to trying them on my next PL layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article and I love your sketches for PL cards even though I use them more for traditional layouts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been really struggling with Project Life, and I have a halfway finished album from 2016. I love the idea of thinking of the cards as mini layouts! I think this perspective will really help me moving forward with finishing this album!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Double layer of wash tape - whaaaat?!? GENIUS

    ReplyDelete

Compliance with the new European Union E-Privacy Regulation

If you leave a comment on this blog, you do so with the knowledge that your name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog, that you have published your own personal details and that you have consented for your personal information to be displayed.
This blog is currently generated from the USA with contributors from Europe, Australia and the USA.