Wednesday, January 6, 2021

January 2021 - Mini-Kit Reveal & Projects

Welcome back to today's post and it's all about going small. Perhaps you don't have time to do a full kit, or maybe you just like certain aspects of the kit? Then a mini kit maybe the answer for you! 

We'll be sharing a couple of mini kits, created by our Master Forgers Clair and Lisa, with some projects to give you a little inspiration!  

Our Inspiration Kit:
 

Not Just For Boys Kit Club Flurries Deluxe Theme Kit


MF Clair

Whilst I still have a lot to work on in my December Daily album, I already have a kit (and a lot of little extras) set aside to work with, so I knew that a Christmas/Winter themed kit wouldn't work for me this month. So, I decided to create a January Counterfeit Kit that I could use to document my One Little Word for 2021.

To start, I made a list of the kit contents, then went in search of stash to match. I focused solely on my Felicity Jane stash, which made it really easy to co-ordinate. 

Never be afraid to use a collection, or manufacturer, to start off your kits. It's a really easy way to ease into counterfeit kits if this is new to you; or, if you're an old hand, it's an excellent way to create your kits if you're a little short on time or energy!


You'll see that I 'echoed' the inspiration kit with stripes, plaids, dots and florals as a base. My stamp set includes patterns, rather than sentiments and I included some Pocket Cards instead of the cut-apart sheet. The one element that isn't from Felicity Jane is that cute, little clip from Jen Hadfield. It just makes me really happy and I'm sure I'll find somewhere to stash it in my album!


To start my album, I used a the TN Crazy Triangles cut file from Cut To You, to create an inside cover/dashboard. I love that it looks a little like arrows and is representative of my One Little Word for 2021 - Forward. I used lots of the kit to back the file, then decorated it with a few FJ embellishments (that I added to my initial kit.) I love it and can't wait to add more to it over the course of 2021. 

Have any of you chosen a word for 2021? Please let me know, I would love to share the journey!
 
Please follow me over on Instagram (@obstinatepursuit) for more of my Counterfeit Kit and One Little Word. 

MF Lisa

I decided to make a page layout mini-kit and based it around the Echo Park Winter Magic collection that I had picked up before Christmas. I started with the cut-apart sheet which felt really close to the original kit and then just added a couple of papers, the die-cut pack, a few older brads and buttons in case I could get them to work with the newer items, some white twine, a sprinkle of veneer snowflakes and two versions of the die-cut cocoa cup in the original. It's a super mini kit for me but I don't want to overwhelm myself as I haven't created anything for such a long long time! The photo doesn't do the papers justice to be honest - in real life they are really a nice clean white with the shades of blue and hint of woodgrain!


I had an idea for a page as the mini-kit came together but I wasn't really sure if it would work! It did - more or less!

In the end, I went with a tried and trusted design with the row of 3x4 along the bottom edge and a title tucked in above. I like using the pocket cards in this way as an additional embellishment and part of the journalling too. I know exactly the photo I want to use but it's from 2009 and I have to track it down. It's a shot of us in front of the fire in our new (then) flat drinking a romantic hot chocolate on our wedding anniversary! Seems to work with all the wording as well as the die cut. As you can see, I've kept it simple but that doesn't mean that it will stay that way necessarily. I might see if I can add some more embellishments and something to create a little cluster down there next to the twine. I will also find a way to bring in some journaling but with the busy background paper I will need to incorporate some sort of blank area.

I'll share the layout again if I manage to fussy it up and finish it off!



There's plenty to keep you inspired this month so don't forget to come back here regularly for ideas and challenges. The month is going to look like this: 

·         12th & 18th January: Challenges #1 & #2 - to inspire you to get creating from your own kit

·         24th January: Follower Showcase - who has caught our eye this month

·         30th January: Killing Kits - An idea or two for using up the bits & pieces left in your kit box  

We always love to see your work, so please share your kits and projects with us. You can post them in our Facebook Community, or share them on Instagram (we are @counterfeitkitchallenge or tag us using #counterfeitkitchallenge and #ckcjanuary2021).

 Thanks so much for stopping by! We can't wait to see your kits and projects this month! 

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, what a lovely mini kit! I especially love that beautiful floral/botanical paper, hiding away at the back of the kit. It looks beautiful and fully deserves to be the main focus of your layout!

    ReplyDelete

Compliance with the new European Union E-Privacy Regulation

If you leave a comment on this blog, you do so with the knowledge that your name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog, that you have published your own personal details and that you have consented for your personal information to be displayed.
This blog is currently generated from the USA with contributors from Europe, Australia and the USA.