I found two awesome tutorials, originally meant for creating journaling spots for Project Life...but you can use them for journaling spots on ANY layout, the best part, you get to use up scraps and stamps that you have laying around!!! I believe Lisa Truesdell first posted a tutorial on Two Peas in a Bucket for journaling cards using Stamps and Washi Tape. Then Michelle posted her own version of Handmade Project Life Journal Cards on her "Mish Mash" blog.
So I decided to give it a try and make a "couple" journaling spots for myself. Well, a "couple" turned out to be about 50 or so...but I just couldn't help myself! They are so cute and so easy to put together.
I found that working on the journal spots in an assembly line manner made the process run smoother.
- First I cut 3"x4: rectangles from various ledger and graph papers in my stash.
- Next I taped a few strips of scrap paper down the sides/top of the journal blocks.
- Next I used a starburst punch to add a detail to a few of the journal spots.
- After that, I added some random mini word and/or phrase stickers and some mini label stickers.
- For the next step I grabbed a handful of my favorite washi tapes, and added a few strips here and there.
- Finally, I got out my sewing machine and added some random stitches, using different stitch styles, on all of the journal spots.
- I like the rounded corners in the previous tutorials, so I rounded all of the corners and then they were complete!
I did 90% of this while watching TV with my family. And I was happy to get that last little use out of some of the TINY scraps that I had left of some of my favorite papers (I typically only save the tiny scraps if they are from super favorite papers--and now I'm so glad I did).
|Here is an example of one of my journal blocks in use, |
not only are they great for journaling,
but also great for grounding a title or an embellishment cluster!
Happy 1/2 way through 2012!!!