Tuesday, August 31, 2021

August 2021 - Kill That Kit!

Wow, it's the end of the month already and time for our Kill That Kit post. Time really seems to speed up as we go through the year.

I've hosted several months this year and I have a secret to tell - I don't really kill my kit very often! So when it comes to writing this post, I have to get a bit creative to find something to show to you. This month was no different but let me share what I actually did.

This month's mini kit was created just for my double spread (shared here) and there were a few items left - some larger pieces of paper, a handful of scraps and a bunch of die cuts and stickers as well as the alphabet which I immediately put back into my stash.



I decided to put the larger pieces to one side - they are big enough to go back to my stash or maybe make another page but I wasn't feeling inspired enough to pull a page together. That left the scraps and the embellishments. Yes, I would try and find something to do with these. The scraps were good sizes and I decided to go with the trusted idea of a couple of greetings cards - nothing themed so I can just use them to say hi.

I took the die-cuts and decided to sort through them to divide them into those I wanted to keep for pages in the future and those which I could "give up" to use on the cards. This kind of sorting is actually something I do quite often for these types of embellishments. I also group die-cuts for layering into die-cut clusters. I find this a good way to categorise what I have and get them used up in a better way. Those precious designs that I know will be perfect for layering up and clustering are identified and kept to one side for the layouts but the extras can be used up without feeling "guilty" or that you're losing something.

Then my eye spotted the packaging of the die-cut pack - a gorgeous watercolour effect design and perfect for using too. So I cut off the top where the staples had been and in the end, used it on two of my cards because it fitted so perfectly with the die-cuts - on one card as the patterned base and the other in the banner.

Then it was just a matter of layering items up into a banner across the page and stitching it down. A sprinkle of enamel dots and they were done. VERY quick and easy but perfect to just send someone a note.




Here I added in the heavier alphabet to give the page a little something extra but those really skinny scraps were perfect for this รผber-simple design. 


I still have a few of those scraps - more cards could be pulled together if I have the time! And I used up about 1/4 of the die-cut pack which feels pretty good. I also know that when I come back to those die-cuts, I probably want to use them all on layouts which is also timesaving and another decision that I don't need to make! Last but not least, I used up some of the word stickers which somehow makes the pack feel more "usable"! A brand new set of anything feels more precious and less likely to be used - strange but true!

Thanks for playing along with us in August and don't forget that we're back bright and early tomorrow with a new kit to play with!

Share your creations with us over at the Counterfeit Kit Community Facebook community here or over at Instagram where you can find us @counterfeitkitchallenge (or tag us using #counterfeitkitchallenge)

3 comments:

  1. I love all the layering and interesting elements you used to create with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are delightful, and your thoughts are very similar to my own ๐Ÿ˜ I feel like we’ve had a short visit! ๐Ÿ’•

    ReplyDelete

Compliance with the new European Union E-Privacy Regulation

If you leave a comment on this blog, you do so with the knowledge that your name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog, that you have published your own personal details and that you have consented for your personal information to be displayed.
This blog is currently generated from the USA with contributors from Europe, Australia and the USA.