Monday, June 5, 2023

June 2023 - Mini Kit Reveal and Projects!

So, what happens when you want to make a kit for the month but you know you won't have a lot of creative time during the month to play?  That's where the mini kits come in! You could make a kit as small as a page kit or as large as a 2-3 page kit!  Let me remind you of my choice of kits this month:


 Master Forgers Lisa and Brandi have got your backs this month with their mini kits and projects!!!

Master Forger Brandi

For my “mini” kit, I tried to focus on just one theme I saw in the inspiration kit. I always look at the colors of a kit first, this month’s inspiration kit is full of options! For me, the black & white contrast to the bright pink & green really stood out. I pulled out some papers I have from an older Pink Paislee line “5th and Monaco” - this also brings in some of the floral of the inspiration kit. I also noticed a lot of basic and geometric patterns so I tried to find some embellishments that matched that. I also made sure to add in some premade titles as the inspiration kit was full of these! 



And here’s my first layout from my kit! I love relying on mixed media, especially stencils, to really stretch out how many layouts I can make from a kit. I used a fun sketch from Scrap a Sketch for these photos of my husband and I on our honeymoon nearly 7 years ago! I’m hoping to create quite a few layouts for my honeymoon album with this kit! I’ll share more throughout the month on my Instagram (here)

Here’s a close up of the stenciling - I used Abandoned Coral Distress Oxide and a Vicki Boutin stencil and splattered over top as well. 

This acrylic set from Some Assemblage Required was the perfect touch! 

Master Forger Lisa

This is a huge inspiration kit and I found myself wondering where to start until I spotted Tara's fabulous colour palette in her "Just the Gist Of It" post on 2nd June! 

I also liked that she gave some suggestions of collections which matched the colours she had picked out. I even had the Simple Stories "Heart Eyes" collection untouched and considered that. But then I noticed Doodlebug "Cute & Crafty" which was also untouched and decided to challenge myself to make a mini-kit from it and then use it! I adored this set of supplies but to be honest, Doodlebug - even though it's one of my first scrapbook loves - is tricky for me to use as it's a bit "cutesy". I mean, I had to have the collection, but how to use it!

First off, I brought together a few sheets of paper, the matching die-cuts and sticker and then added in a Doodlebug alpha and enamel stars, as well as a Simple Stories washi tape and two sheets of the Simple Stories Color Vibe cardstocks to pick out even more yellow and the black from the colour palette. Last but not least is a small pack of labels by Masterpiece Design - I had to have ALL the labels!



To get creating with this "challenging kit" I had to decide on a layout theme which would work with the themed design of the papers and then pick out some photos. A quick search on the Simple Scrapper membership site brought up a great four photo sketch and then I was ready to go. This layout came together really quickly as I stayed quite close to the sketch and the layout didn't need a lot of journalling. 

It's a very different style of layout for me but I think I like it! And yes, you may think it's odd to make a layout about Heidi Swapp and then not use HS products but I like that quirkiness of the layout!

And there is plenty left in the mini-kit to make at least another page if I can come up with an idea for which photos to use! 

As always, watch this space 😀


The rest of the month still has plenty to offer so come on by to catch the following:

  • 12th June - Challenge #1
  • 18th June - Challenge #2
  • 24th June - Follower Showcase
  • 27th June - Tara's Birthday Challenge
  • 30th June - Killing the Kit 

We always love to see your work, so please share your kits and projects with us. You can post them in our Facebook Community, or share them on Instagram (we are @counterfeitkitchallenge or tag us using #counterfeitkitchallenge and #ckcJune2023). 

Master Forger Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Compliance with the new European Union E-Privacy Regulation

If you leave a comment on this blog, you do so with the knowledge that your name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog, that you have published your own personal details and that you have consented for your personal information to be displayed.
This blog is currently generated from the USA with contributors from Europe, Australia and the USA.