Monday, February 28, 2022

February 2022 - Kill that Kit

 For my first month hosting a kit I chose Denim & Blush Modern Memory Keeping Kit by Cocoa Daisy from February 2021

Denim & Blush Modern Memory Keeping Kit

I got a lot of crafting done and now I have bits and pieces of my kit leftover. How about you? What to do with this stuff besides throwing it away?? No worries, I've got some ideas for you.

Let's focus on scraps of pattern paper since that is the hardest to store for future use. First I'll take the biggest pieces and use them in a couple of way. I will use them to cut lots of layers to put behind photos photos. I will also use them as large zones for my page design.


Did you notice that that large zone behind my photo is a circle? That is because I'm a huge fan of circles in design. (In fact I have a whole YouTube video featuring circles and the creation of this layout!) I use a simple circle template to cut larger scraps into partial circles.


I position the scrap paper block onto my background paper with it hanging off the corner. This allows any missing bits of that scrap paper to be eliminated from the final shape. Then I place a template over the top and trace it. I only need to trace it to where it meets the edge of the background paper since those edges will be trimmed flush. In my final design I have two of these large partial circles as my main design element which you can see later.
  
Once I've used up the larger blocks, I'll move on to the smaller scraps. One thing I like to do with those is punch them into shapes. Remember challenge #2 got you to use repeating shapes? Well, that is because I do it often! As I've said, circles are a particular favorite, so I'm continuing repeating that shape on this layout. Punches are especially great if you have awkward pieces of paper left over like that paper in the photo below.


Once I have punched a ton of shapes out of the paper, I feel okay with recycling the bits at that point.

I then put the shapes to use on my layout. I've got two large partial circles to my design and I used all the punches to create scalloped borders.

And if I have some circles left over I tuck them in a donation baggie. I give this away on my neighborhood free cycling group. Kids often have fun playing with lots of bits of fun paper.



Hope this inspires you to use up just about every last scrap of pattern paper! Thanks for joining me this month for your kit building and creating adventure. I hope you got a lot of crafting done. If you are still working on it, no worries! You can always share your work with us no matter when you get it completed.


You can post them in our Facebook Community or share them on Instagram (we are @counterfeitkitchallenge or tag us using #counterfeitkitchallenge and #ckcfebruary2022).

I hope you'll join us next month for a brand new kit of inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Compliance with the new European Union E-Privacy Regulation

If you leave a comment on this blog, you do so with the knowledge that your name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog, that you have published your own personal details and that you have consented for your personal information to be displayed.
This blog is currently generated from the USA with contributors from Europe, Australia and the USA.